1876 is the first recorded organizational date that Friendship Baptist Church was founded with 13 charter members. By 1877, when we joined the Fairburn Baptist Association, we reported 31 members. The first pastor was Reverend J. M. Key.
The current sanctuary was built during 1940-1942 from Stone Mountain granite. It is the third structure to house our congregation. The sanctuary is 38 feed wide by 68 feet long and will seat approximately 200 people.
The sanctuary has 13 stained glass memorial windows to represent the 13 charter members and the pews are from the second structure. The lighting fixtures in the sanctuary came from the downtown Atlanta Rich's department store when it was being renovated in the 1940's.
The M.D. Collins Fellowship Hall was built on the hillside next to the main building in 1987. This hall is located slightly behind where the original church building stood.
The church cemetery was a family cemetery that was deeded to the church along with the original land donation.